Central Texas College

Student Financial Assistance

Financial Aid programs

The Financial Aid office coordinates and administers the financial aid programs for the Central Texas College. It provides financial assistance to students who have a financial need and who would otherwise be unable to attend Central Texas College. The student and student’s family are primarily responsible for the cost of higher education. However, scholarships, grants, loans, work opportunities and other financial benefits are available to students who qualify for these programs.

Most financial aid is awarded on the basis of need. Financial aid programs require annual applications. The Financial Aid office will make every effort to assist the student in meeting his or her need using all resources available. Each student has certain rights and responsibilities in the financial aid process. Therefore, it is important to read all information carefully to ensure compliance with regulations governing receipt and maintenance of financial aid funds. Failure to comply with regulations may result in loss of funding and/or eligibility.

All applicants for financial aid are required to:

  • Apply for admission to Central Texas College
  • Be degree or certificate candidates
  • Complete and file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the United States Department of Education each year. Central Texas College must be selected as an institution in order for the financial aid office to receive the student’s FAFSA application. Central Texas College’s school code is 004003. Students are urged to apply early for optimum financial aid benefits.
  • Complete verification is required if the student is selected by the Department of Education for verification.

Texas Campus deadlines to apply for financial aid are:

Fall                   June 1

Spring               November 1

Summer            April 1

Applications will be accepted and processed after these dates, but you will experience delays in receiving eligible funds for registration and books. All applications will be processed in order of receipt in the Financial Aid office. Scholarship deadlines differ. For more information, visit the Financial Aid office (Bldg. 111) or our website at www.ctcd.edu.

Selective Service registration compliance

An amendment to the Military Selective Service Act (Pub. L. 97-252) requires, beginning with 1983-84 award year, any student required to register with Selective Service who fails to do so is ineligible for Title IV student financial aid. Among Title IV financial aid applicants, men (citizens and eligible non-citizens except permanent residents of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands) who are at least 18 years old and born after December 31, 1959, and who are not currently on active duty with the armed services must be registered.

The law specifically requires in order to receive Title IV aid, all financial aid applicants are required to file a Statement of Registration Compliance.

Eligibility requirements for financial aid

In general, a student is eligible for financial aid if he or she meets the following requirements:

  • Is a United States citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • Has a demonstrated financial need
  • Is making satisfactory academic progress (as defined by the college) in the course of study
  • Is not in default on a Federal Stafford loan
  • Is enrolled at the college for the purpose of obtaining a degree or certificate
  • Has a high school diploma or G.E.D.
  • Is registered with the selective service if required to do so
  • Does not owe a refund on a federal Pell Grant or other federal financial aid awards

NOTE: CTC students must select an eligible program of study prior to the first disbursement of financial aid.

Satisfactory academic progress policy, financial aid

Under current federal guidelines, students who are receiving financial aid are required to maintain the standards of satisfactory academic progress (SAP). The assessment will be made on a semester basis, regardless of the number of semester hours attended or the number of hours attempted during the year. Grades of A, B, C, D and P are considered hours completed. Drops, withdrawals, IP, XN, N, F and course repeats are counted as hours attempted. Course repeats are counted as attempted hours and either earned or unearned depending upon the grade assigned as noted above. All coursework attempted at the college and any transfer work completed is considered when determining satisfactory academic progress regardless of whether the student previously received financial aid.

It is the student’s responsibility to read, understand and adhere to the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy in order to remain eligible for financial aid. Failure to comply with this policy can result in the student’s financial aid being terminated at Central Texas College.

Qualitative standard: minimum grade point average (GPA)

Students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) during each semester of enrollment as well as a cumulative average of 2.0 to remain eligible for financial aid. Should the student’s GPA drop below 2.0, the following actions will be taken:

  • The first time the GPA drops below 2.0, the student will be placed on financial aid warning for the following semester enrolled.
  • At the end of the warning semester, if the student’s GPA is 2.0 or above, the student will be removed from warning status and returned to satisfactory. If after one semester the GPA is still below 2.0, the student will be placed on suspension and will not be eligible for financial aid until the student’s GPA meets the 2.0 standard.

Quantitative standard: (A) Pace of Program, (B) Maximum Time Frame (C) Maximum Timeframe Transfer

A. Along with meeting the Grade Point Average/Qualitative Standard, students must also meet quantitative standards. Students must complete 67 percent of all credit hours attempted regardless of whether financial aid was received for the hours. Our policy is not to round up during this calculation process. For example, if a student’s completion rate is 66.666 percent, the completion rate requirement of 67 percent has not been met. Withdrawals, incompletes, *repeated courses and failure grades will count as attempted coursework credit hours.

* If you repeat a course, both attempts will be counted in the maximum credit hours, even if you did not receive aid for both attempts.

B. Students who have attempted 150 percent of the allowed number of credit hours will become ineligible to receive additional financial aid disbursements for hours in excess of the 150 percent maximum regardless of their semester/ cumulative GPA and regardless of whether or not financial aid was received during previous semesters. Students are advised to work with their academic advisor to "stay on target" to complete educational goals.

C. Academic progress from other institutions will be included in maximum timeframe. All attempted credit hours from CTC and/or any other institution of attendance will count towards attempted credit hours with regard to maximum timeframe. Students who have attempted 150 percent of the allowed number of credit hours for any degree and/or certificate will be ineligible to receive financial aid at CTC.

Students who change their major will have all previously attempted coursework included in the maximum timeframe calculation regardless if those credits count towards the new major.

If at any point it is clear a student will not be able to meet the quantitative standard by graduation, the student becomes ineligible for aid (barring a successful appeal by the student consistent with appeal procedures set up by CTC).

NOTE: The above combination of hours, including all transfer credits, cannot exceed 150 percent of the minimum number of hours required to complete any program of study. In addition, ALL students will be limited to 150 hours attempted maximum time frame which includes transfer hours.

SAP rules for remedial or developmental coursework

An otherwise eligible student may receive financial aid for a maximum of 27 attempted credit hours in developmental/remedial course work. Once the 27 credit hours maximum is reached, additional developmental credit hours will not be used to calculate the award amount. Developmental hours are not included in the cumulative GPA calculation. However, developmental attempts are used in the completion rate calculation and in the calculation of maximum timeframe.

Evaluation outcomes (consequences for not maintaining Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress)

Financial aid automatic suspension

If during a semester, a student completely withdraws (W), receives grades of all F’s, all N’s, all IP’s, all XN’s or a combination of W’s, F’s, N’s, XN’s or IP’s, he or she is placed on automatic suspension without being given a warning. A student placed on a suspension status will not receive financial aid assistance until this status has been cleared. To reestablish eligibility, the student must meet both the qualitative and quantitative standard of completing 67 percent of all attempted hours and maintaining a GPA of 2.0 or above.

Students placed on automatic suspension may continue to enroll at the college. However, they must pay their own expenses to include tuition, fees, room and board and other college costs.

Financial aid warning

A student who does not meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress criteria will be placed on financial aid warning status for one semester. While on a warning status, the student will continue to receive financial aid for which he or she has qualified. This is a warning to the student he or she must meet the college’s Satisfactory Academic Progress standards (2.0 semester/cumulative GPA and also maintain a semester/ cumulative completion rate of 67 percent) during the next semester of enrollment.

NOTE: Students on probation under the prior standards will be considered on warning for purposes of these standards.

Financial aid suspension

If the student does not meet the minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress criteria at the end of his or her warning period, the student will be denied from receiving financial aid until he or she meets the reinstatement requirements.

Students placed on financial aid suspension may continue to enroll at the college. However, they must pay their own expenses including tuition, fees, room and board and other college costs.

Reinstatement of eligibility

Financial aid eligibility will be reinstated after a student meets the Satisfactory Academic Progress criteria listed above, both the cumulative/semester completion rate (67 percent) and cumulative grade point average (2.0) or has an appeal approved. Financial aid will not be reinstated for violations of Quantitative Standards or Qualitative Standards until the appeal has been approved by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee. Classes taken at institutions other than Central Texas College do not count towards reinstatement. Students who regain eligibility by completing the required coursework must notify the Financial Aid office in order to have their progress reevaluated.

Academic amnesty

The Federal Student Aid program regulations make no provision for the concept of academic amnesty or academic renewal. Therefore, a school must always include courses (whenever taken) in evaluating a student’s satisfactory academic progress.

Appeal process

Central Texas College recognizes students sometimes encounter circumstances beyond their control that can adversely affect their academic progress. Any student subject to suspension of financial aid eligibility may appeal to the Financial Aid office for a review of the decision. Under the revised Department of Education rules, an appeal cannot be approved if the student is unable to meet the 2.0 GPA and the 67 percent completion rate within one semester. Also, the student may not appeal for failing to complete their program within the maximum timeframe. It is the responsibility of the student to successfully complete all classes enrolled. Please remember dropping a class, failing a class or withdrawing from class is a personal decision made by the student and may negatively affect the maximum timeframe allowance for their program.

All appeal documents must be attached to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal form obtained from the Financial Aid office. Submission of an appeal does not guarantee reinstatement of financial aid eligibility. If an appeal is approved, the committee will impose enrollment restrictions on the student for the best chance of academic success. At a minimum, the enrollment restrictions require the student to pass all remaining courses successfully (grade of "C" or higher) and not have any withdrawals for the semester (or the student’s next semester of enrollment) before the appeal is approved. Any student that fails to meet this requirement will lose his/her future financial aid eligibility.

Please note: a student cannot have appeals approved in consecutive semesters. The Financial Aid Appeals Committee will review the appeal and the student will be notified by e-mail after the appeal decision has been made. All documents pertinent to the appeals process become part of the student’s financial aid record. If the petition is denied, the student has the right to request the appeal decision be reconsidered by the Financial Aid director. The appeal must be turned in within 10 days of receiving notification of the decision denying the appeal. The decision of the Financial Aid director is final.

NOTE: Reasons such as being unprepared for college course work, the course was not what was expected, not liking the instructor and other related excuses are NOT qualifying circumstances for an appeal and will result in an appeal being denied. Students are responsible for monitoring their own progress status. The Financial Aid office makes every attempt to notify students of their status; however, failure to receive notice does not affect the calculated status and is not reason to appeal. Please ensure home and e-mail addresses are updated with Admissions and Records department.

Appeal decisions


A student will be placed on a probation status if an appeal has been approved. The student must meet the college’s satisfactory academic progress policy (2.0 cumulative/ semester GPA and a cumulative/semester completion rate of 67 percent) during the next semester of enrollment. If the student does not meet the SAP policy, their financial aid will be suspended and will not be eligible to re-appeal. They must complete the requirements of the 2.0 GPA and completion rate of 67 percent at their own expense before their aid can be considered for eligible reinstatement.

Appeal denied

The student will not be eligible to receive financial aid until he or she meets the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards as provided above. It may take several semesters in order for a student to regain aid eligibility. NEW: Please visit SAP GPA Calculator or SAP Completion Rate Calculator to receive an estimate of what may be required to regain eligibility.

Students may continue to enroll. However it is the student’s responsibility to pay their own expenses.

Enrollment/student status

Break in enrollment

When a student has a break in enrollment and is re-admitted, the SAP status for prior terms will apply. For example, if a student is placed on financial aid suspension at the end of the spring term, does not return in the fall term and is readmitted the next spring term, the student will continue in a financial aid suspension status for that term.

Drops and withdrawals

Students who receive Title IV (PELL/FSEOG/Loans) financial aid and drop, withdraw or are administratively withdrawn from courses during the financial aid year may be required to repay financial aid received and may be placed on financial aid warning status or suspension. Repayment is based upon the student’s last date of attendance. Detailed information is provided in the Return/Repayment of Title IV Funds section of this website.

Grade changes

If a grade is changed, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid office immediately. The Financial Aid office can then initiate a review of the effect of the grade change on the student’s academic progress within 30 days of notification.

Repeated courses

Students who have successfully completed a course and attempt to take the course a second time will be covered by financial aid. However, if they attempt the course a third time, financial aid will no longer pay for that course.

Transfer courses

Transfer students entering CTC must be enrolled in a program of study that leads to an associate degree, certificate or is transferable towards a bachelor’s degree. Transfer courses are considered in determining eligibility under the qualitative measure as well as in the quantitative and maximum time frame measurements.

Financial aid will not pay for:

  • Courses taken by audit
  • Successfully completed courses attempted more than two times
  • Courses exceeding the 27 maximum credits for developmental coursework
  • Credit hours earned by placement tests
  • Continuing education courses
  • Courses for which you register after the official census date of the term
  • Credit hours in excess of the 150 percent maximum program limit
  • Courses taken without having a declared eligible program (enrolled as transient student)

NOTE: The financial aid SAP standards are not the same as Central Texas College’s general academic requirements. Students should contact an academic counselor to determine those separate requirements for maintaining their academic enrollment.

Types of aid available

Financial aid is categorized into two types: gift aid and self-help aid.

  • Gift aid includes grants and scholarships that do not have to be repaid.
  • Self-help aid includes student employment and student loans. Student loans must be repaid with few exceptions.

Federal PELL grant

The federal PELL grant is awarded to assist students in pursuing their first undergraduate degree. The intent of the federal PELL grant is to provide a foundation of financial assistance to supplement the cost of post-secondary education.

PELL grant funds will be used to pay for tuition, fees, books and unpaid Residence Hall and Married Student Housing costs. Balance checks for unused PELL funds will not be disbursed to any student who has a balance due to CTC.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This grant is available only to those students who demonstrate financial need. Grant awards and renewals are made on the basis of available federal funds, the student’s demonstration of exceptional financial need and the student’s satisfactory academic progress.

TEXAS grant (toward excellence, access and success)

This grant is available to the eligible student who is a Texas resident, graduated from an accredited high school in Texas no earlier than the 1999 school year, completed the recommended or distinguished achievement high school curriculum or equivalent, enrolls in an eligible Texas college or university within 16 months of graduation, is an entering undergraduate, has not already earned a bachelor’s degree, applied for financial aid and demonstrates required financial need and has not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving a controlled substance. *Students must be enrolled at least three-quarter time in a degree program (nine semester hours in a 16-week semester). Funding is limited and grant may not be available. The Financial Aid Office will determine if the TEXAS grant is part of the aid package offered to you. **Go to the College for Texans website for more information.

Texas Educational Opportunity Grant (TEOG)

TEOG program provides aid to financially needy students enrolled in Texas public, two-year colleges. A student must satisfy general eligibility requirements. Academic performance and other requirements must be met for students to receive continuing eligibility. The Financial Aid office will determine if TEOG is part of the aid package offered to you.

Federal College Work-Study Program (CWSP)

This program provides part-time employment opportunities for students who are in need of employment in order to complete their educational goals. In arranging a job and determining how many hours per week a student may work, the financial aid officer will consider: (1) financial need, (2) class schedule and (3) student’s health and academic progress.


Central Texas College participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program for Dependent and Independent Undergraduate Students and Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program for parents of Undergraduate Dependent Students.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program (Direct Loan Program)

The Federal Program provides loans to eligible student and parent borrowers under Title IV of the Higher Education Act. The loan programs include direct subsidized loans, direct unsubsidized loans, direct PLUS loans and direct consolidation loans. Funds are provided directly by the federal government to eligible borrowers through participating schools.

Please review the College Default Management plan at www.ctcd.edu.

Federal loan eligibility requirements

  • Student must complete the FAFSA.
  • Student must meet academic progress as determined by the Financial Aid office.
  • Student must be enrolled at least half-time (six semester hours per term).
  • Student must be a citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Student must not be in default on any federal loan or owe a refund back to any federal program.
  • Student must not have already exceeded aggregate loan limits.

Federal Stafford Loan maximums (for loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008)

Freshman (0 to 30 credit hours) $5,500 – No more than $3,500 of this amount may be subsidized $9,500 – No more than $3,500 of this amount may be subsidized
Sophomore (31 to 72 credit hours) $6,500 – No more than $4,500 of this amount may be subsidized $10,500 – No more than $4,500 of this amount may be subsidized

NOTE: The amounts shown in the chart above are the maximum amounts you may borrow as a full-time student (12 hours per semester) for the academic year. All annual loan limits are subject to proration and cannot exceed the cost of attendance.

Entrance loan counseling

All first-time Federal Direct loan borrowers at Central Texas College must complete entrance counseling before their loan will be accepted and processed. Borrowing a student loan is a serious financial obligation and the entrance counseling will provide you with important information you need in order to make an informed decision about student loan borrowing. Complete your online entrance counseling on the Federal Direct Loan Servicing website at www.studentloans. gov. This session provides additional information regarding loan programs such as monthly repayments, deferments, grace period and cancellation.

Exit loan counseling

Federal regulations require all students who received a loan to complete a mandatory exit counseling prior to graduation or after dropping below half-time attendance. Exit counseling is available by going directly to http://www.nsld.ed.gov/ nslds_SA/SaEcIntrol.do. You will need a list of two different references (relatives or friends) that will always be in contact with you. Include their name, address and phone number.


When you borrow a student loan, you sign a legal document called a promissory note. This establishes your obligation to repay the loan, and in certain cases, future loans under the same promissory note. The most important thing you can do during repayment is to stay in close contact with your lender. If you have trouble making your monthly payments and need help, contact your lender to learn more about the many options available to you.

Here is a brief summary of the repayment guidelines established in your promissory note:

  • Your payments are expected on a monthly basis.
  • Unless your lender agrees otherwise, the minimum monthly payment will be at least $50.
  • Your minimum annual payment will not be less than the amount of interest due and payable.
  • The maximum time allowed for repayment is usually 10 years.
  • You may prepay on your loan at any time without penalty. This will reduce the total amount of interest you pay on your loan.
  • Your lender will give you the opportunity to choose a standard, graduated, income-sensitive or extended repayment schedule.

Return/repayment of Title IV funds

The 1998 Re-authorization of the Higher Education Act requires an institution to have a fair and equitable Title IV Funds return/repayment policy for students who received federal aid or whose parents borrowed under the Federal PLUS program. Equitable means the policy must be consistent with the standards approved by the Department of Education. A fair and equitable return/repayment policy is defined as:

1. Students who withdraw from all courses before completing 60 percent or more of the current term must return/repay a portion of the Title IV funds (PELL, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and loans) disbursed. Federal loans are repaid in accordance with the terms of the loan. The amount of funds to be returned/repaid will be calculated using the following formula:

Total amount disbursed (PELL grant, SEOG and loans)

- Amount of institutional cost returned by school (if any)

- Amount of aid earned by student

- Amount of aid to be returned/repaid by the student X 50 percent

2. When a student withdraws/drops from courses, the student must ensure a last date of attendance is recorded on the withdrawal/drop request. This last date of attendance is the date used to determine how much Title IV Aid was earned and unearned. Failure to obtain a last date of attendance may result in additional funds to be paid by the student. Before withdrawing/dropping any course, financial aid students are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid office to speak with a Financial Aid counselor.

3. If, after withdrawing/dropping from a course, a student desires to re-enroll in the same course during the same semester/term the following will apply:

a. The student must obtain written permission from the instructor.

b. The student must sign a written declaration stating he or she will complete the course.

c. If the student fails to complete the course, the initial withdrawal date will be used to calculate the amount of aid to be returned/repaid.

4. Students will be notified in writing the amount of Title IV funds that must be returned/repaid. Students must ensure their current address is on file with the Records office. Students will have 45 days from the date of the letter to pay CTC in full. If the account is not paid, CTC will forward the account to a collection agency or take any other legal means to collect this debt.

5. Students may inquire at the Business Office, central campus in Killeen for answers to questions concerning return/repayment of Title IV funds. Students may e-mail michael.oliver@ctcd.edu.

NOTE: Federal, state and institutional rules and regulations regarding financial aid are subject to change.

The Central Texas College Foundation Scholarship Fund

Central Texas College annually awards several two-year scholastic scholarships to qualified high school students. Information regarding this scholarship program may be obtained from the Office of Student Financial Assistance. See Scholarships for applications.

Veteran benefits

Central Texas College’s programs are approved for those who wish to attend and receive benefits under the Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program, the Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 1984, Chapter 1606-Reservists Education Bill, Chapter 30-VA Education Bill of 1986, Chapter 33-Post 9/11 Veterans Assistance, and family members qualified for VA Educational Benefits, Chapter 35.

Please provide the CTC Veterans Services Office with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility, which is issued by the Department of Veterans Administration.

If you wish to attend with the aid of veteran benefits, inquire at the Office of Veteran Services before registration to obtain needed information relative to your enrollment and certification of attendance to the Veterans Administration. All new veteran students must furnish the Veteran Services Office a copy of their DD214.

You must provide an approved, signed certificate/degree plan to the Veteran Services Office before certification of your initial semester. Certificate/degree plans are available through the Guidance and Counseling Office or through departmental advisors. Transfer students should have copies of all previous transcripts for initial counseling sessions. It is your responsibility to inform the Office of Veteran Services of any changes in enrollment status. The monthly rates of payment to veterans are provided for by Public Law 94-502.

You should have military credit evaluated at the close of the first semester or upon successful completion of 6 semester hours and furnish the Veteran Services Office with a copy of the updated degree plan. Also, any transfer credits from previous education need to be evaluated before the close of the first semester and a copy of the updated degree plan furnished to the Veteran Services Office.

Records of progress are kept by Central Texas College on veteran and non-veteran students alike. Progress records are furnished to the students, veterans and non-veterans alike, at the end of each scheduled school term. Central Texas College must now report all probation and suspensions to the VA.

NOTE: You must advise the Office of Veteran Services each semester/term of courses in which you are enrolled. Chapter 33 Post 9/11 students, please contact Veterans Service office at Veterans.Services@ctcd.edu prior to enrolling in Distance Education classes.

Hazlewood Educational Benefits

Veterans who wish to use the Hazlewood exemption must complete an application. Applications are available in Building 111, Room 214, on the Central Campus, or you may call (254) 526-1559. In addition to the application completion, the veteran must furnish a copy of their DD 214 (discharge document showing entry into service from the state of Texas and a letter from the VA Regional Office, Muskogee, OK, stating that the veteran is no longer eligible for VA educational benefits). Upon receipt of these documents the Texas veteran will be notified if they are qualified for Hazelwood Educational Benefits. Please go to www.collegeforalltexans. com for full information.

Vocational Rehabilitation (Texas Campuses only)

The Texas Rehabilitation Commission offers assistance for tuition to students who have certain physical disabilities, provided the vocational objective selected by the disabled person has been approved by a representative of the Commission. Application for this assistance should be made to the nearest Texas Rehabilitation Commission Office.

Central Texas College Foundation

The Central Texas College Foundation has approximately 160 scholarships, which may be awarded to competitively selected students every year. One application will place a student in consideration for all of these awards. A student must file an application for selection with the Foundation office between January 1 and March 31 of each year. These scholarships will be for awards available in the fall semester. Students may apply for any Foundation scholarship for which they are otherwise eligible. There are specific requirements for eligibility that apply to individual scholarships and the student is advised to read the Foundation’s Scholarship Guidelines. A list of scholarships and their criteria can be found at https:// ctcd.academicworks.com from January 1 until March 31. In making application for these scholarships, the applicant must have applied to attend CTC, have official transcripts from previous colleges attended on file with CTC, and completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) as verified by the CTC Student Financial Assistance office.