What is Retention Counseling?
Why: Students with higher perceived faculty support also had higher outcome expectations of earning a certificate or degree.
How: Workshops, appointments and referrals.
Who: The Retention Counselor, Kaylar Griffin, MSN, MSEd, Nurse Educator, supports all Department of Nursing (DON) students: ADN, VN and EMT.
- Evaluating learning styles
- Discussing individualized study strategies and how to take notes
- Assessing test taking skills
- Organizing Success Camp orientation for new students
- Offering Alternate Format Test –Taking Strategies Workshops
- Providing face to face counseling sessions and assessment
- Discussing how to communicate effectively with faculty
- Referring for support services (testing for ADHD, test anxiety, personal development, etc.)
- Time-management skills
- Personal development (goal setting, goal clarification)
- Conflict management
- Referral for support services (diagnosis and treatment of mental health issues)
Where: Building 155.Call Professor Griffin for an appointment. 254-526-1127.
CTC Guidance & Counseling Departments
CTC Student Support Services
Retention Counselor & Student Services