Fort Richardson/Elmendorf AFB
Fort Richardson was built during 1940-1941 on the site of what is now Elmendorf Air Force Base. Established as the headquarters of the United States Army Alaska (USARAK) in 1947, the post moved to its present location five miles north of Anchorage in 1950. The post then had barracks for 500 soldiers, a rifle range, a few warehouses, a hospital and bachelor officer quarters.
Fort Richardson is now headquarters for United States Army Alaska, a subordinate unit of United States Army Pacific (USARPAC) and for United States Army Garrison, Alaska, which provides mission and installation support for USARAK’s combat forces.
The majority of USARAK combat forces are at Fort Wainwright, with Fort Richardson as the primary support base. The major combat unit at Fort Richardson is the 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division (Light).