Faculty FAQs for DSS Services

Why must students be given accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?
  • Both federal and state law require reasonable accommodations to be provided to students who identify themselves to DSS as having a disability and DSS is able to confirm such disability via required documentation. Failure to afford reasonable accommodations as directed by DSS can result is a lawsuit against CTC and the individual refusing the accommodation.
Can I require that a student meet with DSS to get accommodations?
  • No. Unlike primary and secondary school, once in college, no matter what the student’s age, the student is responsible for seeking out and using the services of DSS and any resulting accommodation. Students have the legal right not to seek out accommodations.
Can I inform a student about CTC’s DSS and the need to contact DSS if they are interested in accommodations?
  • Yes. You may inform students that DSS is a student support resource and provide them contact information.
Can I provide accommodations to a student on my own?
  • No. DSS is the only entity at CTC that is authorized to verify the need for accommodations based on medical documentation provided by health care providers; faculty do not have this authority. Otherwise, you may be giving accommodations to someone who is not entitled to them. Federal law requires CTC to provide specific accommodations and faculty are not expected to know, or authorized to determine, what those accommodations are for any given student.
Can I refuse an accommodation?
  • No. If the accommodation is written by DSS, it must be allowed as long as the student elects to utilize the approved accommodation(s). Students have the legal right to choose not to utilize approved accommodation(s).
  • Yes. If the student does not have an accommodation provided by DSS, the student must go through DSS to obtain an accommodation and cannot fashion an accommodation on their own.
Can I modify an accommodation to make it easier or more convenient to provide to the student?
  • No. The accommodation must be followed as written by DSS.
Do testing accommodations give students with disabilities an unfair advantage over other students?
  • No. Test accommodations affects how a test is taken (i.e., extended test time, alternative format, separate test area), not what it measures. The intent is to provide reasonable support for demonstrating mastery of subject matter being tested, not a means of providing lesser academic or professional standards for students with disabilities.
Do I have to change my syllabus, instructional assignments and activities (i.e., lab rotations)?
  • No. Academic adjustments that would alter or waive essential academic requirements or 504 modification of policies and practices that would fundamentally alter the nature of the services, program, or activity are not required to be provided. However, DSS strongly encourages all instructors to include the following information all course syllabi: "Disability Support Services (DSS) provides support services for students who have appropriate documentation of a disability. Students requiring classroom, academic. pregnancy, or other accommodations are responsible for contacting DSS located on the central campus, Building 111, Room 207, (254) 526-1195. This service is available to all students, regardless of location. Reasonable accommodations will be given through DSS in accordance with American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 Rehabilitation Act. Additional information from DSS is available at http://www.ctcd.edu/disability-support."
At what point does the accommodation go into effect?
  • Upon receipt of the DSS accommodation form from the student's assigned DSS Coordinator. DSS Coordinator will email any approved student accommodation forms to course instructors after the student has requested accommodations from DSS. While an accommodation cannot be denied, sufficient time to make the arrangements to accommodate the request may be necessary, i.e., separate testing area or delaying a test for the student to allow for accommodation arrangements. If you have not received an email copy of the student's Accommodation Form from DSS, you as the instructor are not obligated to allow/provide accommodations until the student has requested his/her Accommodation Form from his/her assigned DSS Coordinator - accommodations are NOT retroactive
Should I be provided accommodations letter at the beginning of the semester?
  • Students are advised to request accommodations as early as possible; but, it is not required. Students may request and receive an accommodation at any time for any or all of their registered courses.  However, the accommodations are not retroactive; therefore, students will not be authorized for grade changes or retakes on tests completed prior to receiving accommodations.
Am I in noncompliance if the student chooses not to use an accommodation?
  • No. The student has the legal right to choose not to use an approved accommodation
Are service animals allowed on campus and in the classroom?
  • Yes, service animals are permitted to be on campus and in classrooms. Per ADA law, only the following questions are permitted to be asked in regards to service animals: (1)What work and/or task is the service animal trained to perform? You cannot request that the service animal perform the task and you cannot ask for documentation for the service animal.  (2) Is the animal necessary for the person’s disability? You cannot ask the person what his/her disability is and you cannot ask for documentation of the disability. For more information on service animals, please visit http://www.ctcd.edu/locations/central-campus/student-support/student-success-persistence/disability-support-services/service-animal-policy/