Emotional Support Animal Policy Guidelines and Restrictions

Per federal disability laws, Emotional Support Animals (ESA) are NOT Service Animals and do not accompany an individual at all times. Therefore, if an accommodation is granted for an ESA, the ESA is ONLY permitted in the student’s assigned residential room on campus and immediate outdoor space of the residence hall to allow the animal to dispose of waste products. These animals are NOT permitted in other campus buildings (only campus housing). When the animal is transported outside the private residence area it must be in an animal carrier, on a leash or harness, and controlled at all times.
To request housing accommodations for an ESA, the student is required to do the following:
Register the ESA for housing with DSS by completing the Student Intake e-Form, the ESA Registration e-Form, and Housing Accommodation e-Form located at https://ctceforms.ctcd.edu/index.aspx
The ESA is NOT to be brought to campus housing until approval has been granted by DSS. The Request for the ESA in housing will be reviewed by DSS and the student will be notified of the results. All requests and documentation should be submitted at least 60 days prior to the anticipated move in date into campus housing. Please note that submitting all the required forms for the ESA does not guarantee that this accommodation will be approved for campus housing.  
*Housing request for the ESA must be updated yearly.
Owner/Handler’s Responsibilities and Guidelines for Having an Emotional Support Animal in Campus Housing:
  • The owner/handler, not the College or another student, is responsible for the care and conduct of their animal.
  • The owner/ handler must abide by all state and local laws regarding animals.
  • Animals must be kept clean, healthy and under control of the owner/handler at all times.
  • Animals and their accoutrements (e.g. heat lamp) must not pose a direct threat to the safety of others.
  • The owner/ handler is responsible for prompt clean up and disposal of the animal’s waste.
  • Animals must sleep in the owner/handler’s room.
  • Animals must not make excessive noise or display behavior that will disrupt other community members.
  • The College is not responsible for an animal during a fire alarm, fire drill, or natural disaster.
  • An animal cannot be left alone for more than 6 hours.
  • The owner/handler is subject to charge for damage caused by the animal in the same manner as community members are charged for damage that is caused by an individual.
  • The owner/handler is responsible for any financial charges for bodily injury caused by the animal to any individual, including the owner/handler.
  • The owner/handler must notify Student Accessibility Services in writing if the animal is no longer needed in residence. An approval for an ESA is good only for the academic semester/term in which it has been approved. A formal request for an ESA must be submitted for each academic semester/term.
  • Emotional Support Animals are only permitted in the privately assigned residential room and outdoor areas as approved by DSS and Student Housing. When transported outside the privately assigned residential room the animal must be in an animal carrier or controlled by a leash or harness at all times.
  • When maintenance staff needs to enter a student’s room to complete work the owner/handler must be present at the time staff member enters the room. Work cannot be completed without the owner/handler being present.
Romoval of Approved ESA from Campus Housing:
The College has the right to remove an animal if:
  • It poses a direct threat to the health or safety of the owner/handler or others.
  • The owner/handler does not comply with the owner/handler’s responsibilities outlined in the guidelines for having an ESA on campus.
  • The animal causes uncontrollable disturbances.