Frequently Asked Questions




Q1.  How do I become a VA student with CTC?

Answer:  Complete an application for admission. Bring a copy of your DD 214 (copy #4), HS diploma or GED certificate and official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Complete a 22-1990 (Application for VA Educational Benefits). Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

Q2. If attended CTC at another location or attended a different school, do I need to make any changes?

Answer: Yes.  When you change schools or degree plan, complete a 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). This form can be completed online at the VA website or at your local CTC office.

Q3.  How long does it take to process my applications for my educational benefits?

Answer:  It takes a minimum of 30 days once the VA Regional Processing Office has completed your paperwork.  For more information, contact VA directly at 1-888-442-4551 or go online to their website at

Q4.  Does CTC have a payment plan for payment of tuition?

Answer:  No.  Tuition is due at the time of enrollment.

Q5.  Can I register for classes without my Post 9/11 Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

Answer:  Yes.  You will need to use 3rd party billing, PELL, student loan or pay out of pocket until we receive your COE. Official registration does not take place until tuition is paid in full.

Q6.  Why didn’t I get paid?

Answer:  Did you notify the CTC office of your current enrollment? Every time you add or drop a class you must turn in documentation to the CTC office.

Q7.  What is considered full time enrollment?

Answer:  VA has a formula that involves hours and length of the course(s).  For VA purposes, normally 6 hours at 8 weeks in length will put you at full time status.

Q8.  If I elect to register or withdraw online, how do I notify the school?

Answer:  For registering:  Complete the VA Enrollment Certification Request form
     For withdrawing:  Complete the VA Withdrawal/Drop Certification Request form
If the school is not notified of your enrollment or withdrawal, you will not be paid your benefits or you could be overpaid. It is your responsibility to notify school to avoid overpayment.

Q9.  If I withdraw or the instructor withdraws me from class, will I have to pay back the book stipend received?

Answer:  Yes.  A letter will be sent from Debt Management department at VA.

Q10.  If my GPA is below 2.0, am I eligible for VA benefits?

Answer:  It depends on your situation. If it is your first time offense or if you are using your VA benefits for the first time you will be placed on probation until you can bring your GPA above a 2.0. However, if you do not show growth during the initial term of your GPA being below 2.0 your benefits will be suspended the following term.

Q11.  I am active duty and want to use my Post 9/11 benefits.  Will I receive BAH?

Answer:  No. You and your spouse are not eligible to receive BAH because you are already receiving the benefit, however, your children may be eligible.

Q12.  Can I take a course that is not in my degree plan?

Answer:  Yes, however, you will not be able to use your VA benefits for that course.

Q13.  What is the monthly housing allowance?

Answer:  It's a monthly benefit paid via direct deposit to students while attending school under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, and is equal to the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) of an E-5 with dependents.  It is based on the zip code of the school.  Active duty members and spouses of active duty members using transferred entitlements cannot receive the benefit, but Veterans, their spouses and dependents can receive the benefit. 

Q14.  How can a student receive the housing allowance payment?

Answer: A student must attend more than half-time to receive the housing allowance payment.  Benefits for attendance at less than full-time are pro-rated to the nearest multiple of ten.  The monthly housing allowance payment rate for those enrolled solely in distance learning is half the national average of the BAH rates payable for an E-5 with dependents in the continental U.S.

Helpful Links:



For additional questions, please email Darlene Jones at

Related Links