All of our career services are offered to current CTC students with a valid ID card free of charge.
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions of our office. However, if you cannot find the answer to your particular question, please do not hesitate to contact us – we are here to help! Call (254) 526-1106 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
College Central Network
- Q: What is College Central Network?
- A: College Central Network is a registration system that will allow individuals to go online and create a profile (degree, major/minor, career interests, identifying information, etc.), upload their own personal resume, search for jobs nationwide, and many more additional options.
- Q: Do I need to come into the Career Services office to register?
- A: No. All you need to do is visit CollegeCentral.com to begin the process.
- Q: By registering with the College Central Network will employers be able to view my online documents?
- A: Yes. Once your documents are published, employers nationwide are very familiar with the College Central Network and know how to navigate it to locate qualified job candidates.
- Q: By registering with College Central Network will this guarantee any employment opportunities?
- A: No. There are no guarantees of employment. However, this system will enable candidates to have greater exposure to employers and greater access to employer information.
- Q: Does the Career Services office "place" or "get" people jobs?
- A: No. The office does not serve as an employment agency. The office helps you develop the "tools" (resumes, letters, job-searching, interviewing, etc.) so that you can find suitable employment.
- Q: What are some of the services provided by Career Services?
- A: We assist individuals with writing resumes and application letters, job search techniques, mock-interviewing, free typing test, an annual community job fair in the Spring, and additional career services/information.
- Q: Do I have to register with the Career Services office to take advantage of the services? -
- A: No. You have access to ALL of the services provided by our office. Services include but are not limited: Career Exploration & Counseling, Computer Resources & Internet Usage, Employment & Recruitment Services, Job Fair & Internship Opportunities, Programs & Workshops, Testing & Assessments, and Training & Career Coaching.
- Q: I am nervous about going on a job interview, can the office help?
- A: Yes. We can conduct a mock interview. Students should dress professionally, have a completed resume, and an have idea of the type of job for which they are interested in interviewing.
- Q: Does the office have a "list" of employers that I contact?
- A: Yes. If you find you are in need of a degree or more training, CTC can help! See Programs of Study to see what we offer.
- Q: I'm not sure what career I want to explore. Does the office provide any "tests" that might help me to decide?
- A: Yes. The Career Services Office does provide the My Plan Assessment to help you in exploring a career opportunity. Career counseling is available upon completion of the assessment.
- Q: What is the "best" way to secure employment?
- A: Use all of your resources. Register with College Central.com in the Career Services office, sign up for on-campus interviews, begin networking with professional people, go to campus career fairs, start using Internet job resources, and initiate contact with employers who you wish to work for.
- Q: When should I start looking for a job?
- A: You should begin NOW.
- Q: Is it necessary to have an internship even though my major does not require one?
- A: With a very competitive job market, more employers are expecting graduates to have some sort of experiential learning in their profession completed before a student graduates. So, while it is not necessary, internships can only increase your chances of securing a job.
- Q: Does the Career Center offer workshops on the services they provide?
- A: Yes. Programs and workshops are available throughout the semester. Please go to the "request a program" link on our home page (a 10-day notice is required)
- Q: Do you have to be a student to take a typing test with your office? How much is the test? How long is the test? How many times can I take the test? Will I get a copy of the test? Where are you located?
- A: You must be a student with a current CTC ID card! ALL of our services are offered to current CTC students with a valid ID card free of charge. The typing test is 5 minutes. You may take the test as many times as you would like (within normal business hours) Yes, we will print several CERTIFIED copies of the test. We are located in Bldg. 111 (where Financial Aid and Testing Services are located) upstairs room 208.