Credit for Nontraditional Learning Experiences
CTC offers you several nontraditional ways to earn credit toward your associate degree or certificate at CTC. All students to include high school students, military personnel and veterans, and adult learners may be eligible to receive credit toward a degree or certificate based upon appropriate documentation and institutional guidelines.
You may apply for consideration of credit upon successful completion of six semester hours with grades of C or better with Central Texas College by completing a Request for Official Evaluation. Credit will only be awarded if the credit applies toward your CTC degree or certificate program. You must still complete 25% of credit hours toward a degree or certificate in residency with Central Texas College. Residency credit may be earned at any CTC location and/or through distance learning. Nontraditional methods for which credit may be awarded include:
Credit by Examination
DLPT Defense Language Proficiency Tests
Credit for Military Experience and Training
Community College of the Air Force
Credit for Civilian Training
Other designated Civilian Education, Training, and Certification Programs
Receiving Credit by Examination
General guidelines include:
- Tests must be taken within 7 years from date of evaluation request with the exception of the ASE exams, which are valid for 5 years only.
- Credit cannot be awarded for a course that is a prerequisite to a course that you have already earned credit.
- Credit cannot be awarded for a course you are currently enrolled in.
- Credit cannot be awarded to replace a grade including an “F” or “W” that you earned in a course that you previously attempted while in high school, at another college or university, or CTC.
- Credit is not computed in your CTC grade point average but does apply toward total semester hours earned. Awarded credit on a transcript will appear with a grade of “CR”.
Receiving Credit for Military and Civilian Experience and Training
CTC has established the Individualized Career Evaluation Process (ICEP) manual based on the American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations. Contact your local CTC designated representative for further information. Credit will only be awarded for military MOSs or Ratings that have been held within the last 7 years.
Note: Policies and procedures may differ at other colleges and universities. Students transferring to another college or university should become familiar with the policies and procedures at that college or university in regards to awarded credit and transfer of nontraditional course credits.