Explore Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). Contact us if you need clarification or answers to questions not addressed.

All sources of financial aid have some kind of eligibility requirement. Eligibility for most of the federal student aid programs is based on financial need rather than academic achievement. Financial aid is intended to supplement, not replace, family resources. Families should think of themselves as the primary source of educational funding.

If you are currently in default on any educational loan or owe a repayment of any educational grant, you are NOT eligible for financial assistance.

In addition to the financial need requirement, federal student aid programs require that the student recipient:

  • have a high school diploma or a GED,
  • enroll in an eligible degree or certificate program,
  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen,
  • have a valid social security number (SSN),
  • make satisfactory academic progress, and
  • sign statements regarding Selective Service Registration and Educational Purpose/Certification Statement on Refunds

Apply early! It is best to apply after you file your federal tax return, for the upcoming school year.

First, you must apply for admission to CTC.

If you are applying for state and/or federal program (grants, student loans, or college work-study), you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) which is available online at https://fafsa.gov.

Priority deadlines: Your Financial Aid file must be completed and an award accepted by:

  • Fall - June 1
  • Spring - October 1
  • Summer - April 1

Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants are eligible for the funds available at the time their application files are completed AND admission to the school is confirmed. Late applicants should make arrangements to pay their own registration expenses.

The following documents are helpful when completing the online FAFSA:

  1. Copies of 2015 Federal Income Tax Return (Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ)
  2. 2015 W2 statements for student and spouse, or parents, if applicable

Upon completing the FAFSA, you may be selected for verification. If so, you will need the following:

  1. Verification packet, found on the eForms Portal
  2. 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript for student and, if applicable, spouse or parent if the IRS Data Retrieval Tool was not used when completing the online FAFSA application
  3. If changes were made to the original FAFSA application or an amendment was made to the 2015 Federal Tax Return, a copy of the Tax Account Transcript and W2 statements for 2015 will be required for verification
  4. Divorce Decree, Petition for Divorce or Separation Agreement
  5. Naturalization document

To apply for federal student financial aid, and to apply for many state student aid programs, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information you provide on your FAFSA determines if you are eligible for financial aid.

The federal government considers it the parents' responsibility to educate their child(ren) until the age of 24. Unless a student can answer 'YES' to any one of the dependency questions (Step 3) on the FAFSA, that student is considered dependent upon his/her parents.

Your best source of FAFSA information is the FAFSA website itself. For example, a Browse Help page is provided offering time-saving suggestions on what is needed before you apply and how to check the status of a submitted FAFSA. The information is there; just be sure to read it completely and carefully.

YES. Eligible students who applied for financial aid in the prior award year will have the option to use their pre-existing data when filing the FAFSA online.

CTC's school code is 004003

Most documents can now be submitted through eForms

Some documents may be submitted by email to financial.aid@ctcd.edu. Students may also submit by FAX: 1-254-526-1480

If an independent student or the parents of a dependent student did not work or make enough money to support his/her household, the student (or parent, if applicable) must explain how he/she supported themselves. The student (or parent, if applicable) must also document any benefits and money received on his/her behalf.

You do NOT have financial aid until you have an award accepted through WebAdvisor.

Do Not Wait. After FAFSA completion, the awarding process can take up to 6-8 weeks IF all the information is complete and filled out correctly.

In addition to the Financial Aid office located on CTC's main campus, you can also check out these resources:

  • https://studentaid.ed.gov
  • The Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913.
  • Your high school counselor
  • Your local library's reference section

Students who drop, withdraw, or are administratively withdrawn from courses during the financial aid year may be required to repay financial aid received and may be placed on financial aid probation or suspension. Repayment is based upon the student's last date of attendance (not the drop or withdrawal date).

Students who withdraw from all courses before completing more than 60 percent of the current term must return/repay a portion of their Title IV funds (PELL, SEOG, and loans) disbursed.

Students who do not complete 67 percent of their attempted hours will be placed on financial aid warning, suspension, or automatic suspension. This action could result in the loss of federal aid for the following semester.

No, students must submit address changes in writing to the Admissions Office or on WebAdvisor.

Once you have accepted your award through WebAdvisor, you may register for classes during any registration period. Pell Grant funds based on the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled are released to the Disbursements Office ten days prior to the start date of each class. The Financial Aid Disbursements Office will pay for all or part of your classes (depending upon the amount) with the money Financial Aid releases. You are responsible for any balance if your Pell Grant funds do not cover the total cost of your tuition and fees.

Central Texas College has a program in place to simplify the purchase of textbooks for ALL students (campus based and online students) receiving Financial Aid. Financial Aid funds will deposit into a student's individual account ten days prior to the start date of each class. Tuition and fees will be deducted first. If any funds remain, students may purchase books online, www.ctcbookstore.com or go to the Central Campus bookstore. Remember, the earliest funds may be available to charge books is ten (10) days before the class start date.

Online book charging: If a student wants to charge their books to their financial aid account, they will need to go to the CTC bookstore web page www.ctcbookstore.com. The student will have to choose the payment type of financial aid and supply their student ID number. When checking out a choice will have to be made as to pick up the books or have them shipped. If the student chooses to have them shipped the shipping charges will also be deducted from the available financial aid funds.

Central Campus book charging: Students will need to bring a picture ID and their schedule, pick up their books, then proceed to the checkout counter where they MUST identify themselves as a financial aid/scholarship student. The bookstore representative will enter the student's identification number and calculate the total charges for books and supplies. The charges will be deducted from the student's account, so the more a student charges, the less the student's balance check will be.

Students have approximately 14 days after classes start to charge books. After that time the business office will begin to prepare students' balance checks. Students who choose not to use the CTC Bookstore must purchase books out of pocket and will receive their funds as a balance check once the business office starts mailing them. Book charging dates will be posted on the financial aid page once they have been confirmed.

Financial Aid balance checks are processed within two weeks of census date as federally mandated. Be advised, CTC offers courses with multiple start dates and a variety of lengths; therefore, not everyone will receive their funds at the same time.

For direct deposit, you must sign up through WebAdvisor under the Financial Information list.

Book checks are no longer issued.

Students who have successfully completed a course and attempt to take the course a second time will be covered by financial aid. However, if they attempt the course a third time, financial aid will no longer pay for that course.

No. Financial Aid does not pay for the following:

  • Continuing Education courses
  • CNA (Certified Nurse Aid) Program
  • ATDS Truck Driving School

Financial Aid students who did not attend full time (12+ hours) in both the fall and spring may be eligible for the remainder in the summer semester. Review WebAdvisor to determine eligibility amounts.

Pell Grant funds that are not used during the academic year remain with the federal government. Remember, you must reapply for Financial Aid each year!

Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 to request a copy of your Tax Return Transcript. If we require a copy of your W2 statement(s) and you cannot locate a copy, you may call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to request a Wage and Income Statement.

No, students may not receive a Federal Pell Grant for more than one school for the same period of time, as stated on the FAFSA.

Yes, it is mandatory for students to complete the FAFSA before applying for a student loan because the FAFSA allows the Financial Aid Office to determine your general eligibility for a student loan. There are subsidized and unsubsidized loans available. The subsidized loans are awarded based on need. This need is determined by the results from the FAFSA.

No, you must contact your lender and make arrangements to pay off your previous student loan. Generally, you must make at least 6 consecutive monthly payments before you will be eligible to take out a new student loan.

Contact the Central Texas College Financial Aid Office so that we may cancel your future disbursement. If the school to which you are transferring is not on your Student Aid Report then, call 1-800-4FED-AID and ask them to list the new school or, using your FAFSA FSA ID, you may go online to https://fafsa.gov and add the other college.

Financial aid only recognizes classes that are within 10 days of starting. If you have classes that begin on different dates, your financial aid will disburse 10 days before the start date of EACH class.

If applicable, you will receive a message on your account activity page stating that you are ineligible. The ineligibility reason will also be provided. For instance, "Student is not enrolled in at least 6 credit hours" as shown in the example below.

Example of WebAdvisor grant Ineligibility statement


  • Information is available regarding military educational benefits, Selective Service registration compliance, veteran benefits and vocational rehabilitation (Texas campuses only). More...
  • A consortium agreement is a contract between two colleges/universities that recognizes your registration at each location for financial aid purposes. Learn more...