Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC)
Central Texas College is a Servicemember's Opportunity College.
The Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium, consists of colleges and universities committed to expanding and improving voluntary postsecondary educational opportunities for servicemembers worldwide. SOC Consortium members subscribe to principles and criteria to ensure that quality academic programs are available to active duty military students, their family members, and veterans.
In support of SOC criteria and service to its military students and their family members, Central Texas College:
- has designated a transfer program which minimizes loss of credit, avoids duplication of credit yet maintains program integrity;
- has established guidelines which follow the general principles of good practice outlined in the Joint on Transfer and Award of Academic Credit;
- accepts transfer credit earned from regionally accredited institutions consistent with servicemembers' and their family members' degree programs;
- requires only 25 percent of Central Texas College coursework to meet residency requirements;
- recognizes as study in residence all credit coursework offered by CTC, regardless of location;
- allows students to satisfy residency requirements with courses taken at CTC at any time during their course of study; provides the Individualized Career Evaluation Process (ICEP) to assess learning equivalence and awards credit to qualified students for specialized military training and experience in accordance with the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces; and
- provides the Individualized Career Evaluation Process (ICEP), which reflects the principles and guidelines set forth in the statement on Awarding Credit for Extra Institutional Learning, and awards credit for nontraditional learning assessment programs.