Clinical Medical Assistant
A clinical medical assistant works in a physician's office or clinic setting and helps the physician carry out procedures, care for patients, perform basic lab tests and administer medications. This course consists of 260 hours of accelerated classroom training with emphasis on skills mastery through hands-on practice and supervision and a 80-hour clinical. (Total 340 hours)
Course includes consumable supplies, NHA study materials, clinical insurance, name tag and course completion certificate.
$2,695 without certification exam
$2,850 with certification exam
Students with a need for financial assistance may contact Sallie Mae for a student loan. There is also a parent-initiated loan option available with Sallie Mae. We are listed as CTCD-Continuing Education on the Sallie Mae site, school code 00400398. Sallie Mae includes 4 months of free Chegg® study help - a $100 value.
Students who qualify may use MyCAA benefits. Contact MyCAA to see if you qualify.
The median annual wage for medical assistants was $34,800 in May 2019. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment of medical assistants is expected to increase more than 19 percent through the year 2029.
Upon successful completion of the course and clinical, students will receive a certificate of completion. Additionally, students will qualify to take the optional Medical Assistant Certification (CCMA) examination offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA). The exam is proctored on campus periodically throughout the year. Call 254-526-1586 for exam schedule.
Classes are held at the CTC central campus in Killeen and are taught at an accelerated pace. Schedules may vary when taught in the college service area.
Students must be at least 18 years of age at the time of enrollment. Students need competency in basic computer operations and will be required to have access to the internet, printing capabilities and an email address. Application packets must include:
- High school diploma/transcript or G.E.D or official transcripts of higher education.
- Proof of completion of CPR for the Healthcare Provider course that is good for the life of the program.
- Negative state criminal background check: https://publicsite.dps.texas.gov/DpsWebsite/CriminalHistory/
- A completed physical examination using the CTC Continuing Education form.
- Proof of current immunizations including tetanus/diphtheria (every 10 years), polio, measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B series, PPD (must be completed within the 90-day period immediately prior or the program start date), varicella (a written statement from a physician, the student’s parent or guardian or school nurse supporting a history of varicella is acceptable) and influenza.
- 11-panel drug screen must be completed within 7 days of clinical start date.
To view a comprehensive description of Continuing Education's Clinical Medical Assistant Program, see our Program Summary. For additional information or to register for the program, contact us at 254-526-1586.
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQs about Clinical Medical Assistants
WHAT IS A MEDICAL ASSISTANTS WORK ENVIRONMENT LIKE?
Medical assistants held about 725,200 jobs in 2019. The largest employers of medical assistants were as follows:
- Offices of physicians | 57%
- Hospitals; state, local, and private | 15
- Outpatient care centers | 8
- Offices of chiropractors | 4
WHAT IS A MEDICAL ASSITANTS WORK SCHEDULE LIKE?
Most medical assistants work full time. Some work evenings, weekends, or holidays to cover shifts in medical facilities that are always open.
WHAT TYPES OF TASKS DOES A MEDICAL ASSISTANT DO?
Medical assistants typically do the following:
- Record patient history and personal information
- Measure vital signs, such as blood pressure
- Help physicians with patient examinations
- Give patients injections or medications as directed by physicians and as permitted by state law
- Schedule patient appointments
- Prepare blood samples for laboratory tests
- Enter patient information into medical records
Access our Library Resources for Medical Assistant students!