CTC offers you several non-traditional ways to earn credit toward your associate degree or certificate oif completion at CTC. All students including high school students, active-duty military personnel, veterans and adult learners may be eligible to receive credit toward a degree or certificate based upon appropriate documentation and institutional guidelines.

You may apply for consideration of credit upon successful completion of six semester hours with grades of C or better with Central Texas College by completing an  Evaluation Request Form. Credit will only be awarded if the credit applies toward your CTC degree or certificate program. You must still complete 25 percent of credit hours toward a degree or certificate in residency with Central Texas College. Residency credit may be earned at any CTC location and/or through distance learning. Non-traditional methods for which credit may be awarded include:

Credit by Examination

AP Advanced Placement Examinations

ASE Automotive Service Excellence Tests

CLEP College Level Examination Program

DSST Standardized Subject Tests

DLPT Defense Language Proficiency Tests

Excelsior College Examinations (ECE)

IBD International Baccalaureate Diploma Program

Credit for Military Experience and Training

Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) and Navy Ratings

Military Service Schools

Community College of the Air Force

Credit for Civilian Training

Childhood Development Associate (CDA) Credentials and DOD Military Modules

Police Academy Experience

High School Articulations

Articulation agreements are currently being updated.

Receiving Credit by Examination

General guidelines include:

  • Tests must be taken within 10 years from date of evaluation request with the exception of the ASE exams which are valid for five years only.
  • Credit cannot be awarded for a course that is a prerequisite to a course you have already earned credit.
  • Credit cannot be awarded for a course you are currently enrolled in.
  • Credit is not computed in your CTC grade point average but does apply toward total semester hours earned. Awarded credit on a transcript will appear with a grade of “CR.”

Receiving Credit for Military and Civilian Experience and Training

CTC has established the Individualized Career Evaluation Process (ICEP) manual based on the American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations. Contact your local CTC designated representative for further information. Credit will only be awarded for military MOS or ratings held within the last 10 years.

Note: Policies and procedures may differ at other colleges and universities. Students transferring to another college or university should become familiar with the policies and procedures at that college or university in regards to awarded credit and transfer of nontraditional course credits.