Learn what this placement test is and how preparing now can save you time and money!
Prepare to Do Your Best!
To prepare for the assessment, review and work through the following resources with practice test questions and feedback:
English Language Arts & Reading (ELAR):
Course Options and Resources to Help Student Success:
Following the TSIA, you should meet with an Advisor (either in-person, virtually, or by phone) to discuss options. Contact Academic.Advising@ctcd.edu or EaglesOnCall@ctcd.edu to reach an advisor by email and make an appointment.
If your assessment shows that you are college ready, you can directly enroll in the college-level Math and/or English required for your degree.
If the student is assessed as not college ready, your options include:
- Retaking the TSIA after practicing and working with free tutors at CTC:
- Enrolling in the co-requisite courses (Math and/or English) that pair a college-level course with a remedial intervention course taken at the same time. Successful completion of the co-requisite course will make you "TSI Complete," in that area. You will not need to retake the TSIA. For more information: Math Express 254-526-1209 and Developmental English 254-526-3353.
About the Test
- You'll take the test at our testing center. It is a computer adaptive placement exam with a Math assessment, an English Language Arts & Reading (ELAR) assessment, and an essay assessment.
- The TSIA is entirely online and includes multiple choice questions as well as an essay.
- You'll start with a problem of medium difficulty: if you get the problem correct, the software will give you a more difficult problem; if you get the problem incorrect, the software will give you an easier level problem.
- Because of the adaptive nature, needs the test taker to answer every question.
- The test is graded automatically.
- You'll receive a report with your results.
In the beginning of the assessment, there will be some demographic questions asked as well as an important question: Were you provided with information and/or an activity to help you understand the following: (1) the importance of this assessment, (2) practice test questions with feedback, (3) course options, and (4) resources for student success? This is a Yes or No question. After completely reading through these pages, you will have all the information and activity information to be able to answer "Yes".