The purpose of this course is to prepare students to become a patient care technician (PCT) professional. Students will develop an understanding of the status of today's healthcare system, proper ethical and documentation practices, and caring for patients regardless of age or condition. Additional topics the student will encounter include the safety of all within a healthcare facility, properly cleaning and sanitizing patient and workspaces, and more. All skills learned in this course will help students become more confident in their ability to perform their tasks above expectations.
The content in the certification course will prepare students to take the associated industry recognized exam. Please note that the individual state requirements may vary. Students will be responsible to check with their state's governing body for state-specific requirements.
- Understand the importance of trends present in today's health care system and their role as a patient care technician (PCT)
- Gain awareness of various ethical and legal ramifications that are part of the core responsibilities of being a PCT at a health care facility
- Define and comprehend commonly-used terms within the health care sphere - including anatomical, neurological, physiological, and psychological ones as provided within the text
- Comprehend various ways the workplace for employees, patients, vendors, and visitors can be presented as safe and sanitary as possible
- Develop an understanding as to how to administer care to patients including basic emergency care, reading vital signs, and the like
- Providing patient assistance within a health care facility in a professional and courteous manner (e.g. bathing, grooming, fluid discharges, oxygen needs, etc.)
- Apply concepts learned to assist patients in different intake and outtake scenarios that would be common at a health care facility (e.g. surgery, temperature-specific, rehabilitative and restorative care)
- Comprehend and apply techniques learned to specific patient demographics, mental capacities, and condition levels
View additional program information!