What is the Texas Success Initiative (TSIA)
What is the TSIA?
The Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA) is a Texas State mandated test used to assess college readiness in Math and English Language Arts & Reading (ELAR). The TSIA determines whether a student should:
- directly enroll in college-level Math and/or English
- enroll in a co-requisite course (where the student takes the college-level Math and/or English with a remedial intervention course)
- enroll in a Non Course Based Option (NCBO) to remediate before enrolling in the co-requisite course
Who has to take the TSIA?
Texas law requires that all students entering a Texas public college be assessed by the TSIA unless the student qualifies for an exemption or waiver or previously demonstrated college readiness through successful completion of college-level coursework in Math and English.
You will not be able to enroll in college-level courses until you test or CTC can verify that you have an exemption or waiver. Examples of exemptions/waivers include:
- Successfully scored on SAT, ACT, or STAAR test
- Successful completion of High School College Prep course
- Military Waivers
- Enrollment in a program that does not require TSI Completion such as Level 1 Certificates (certificates with 42 or less credit hours)
Students with a waiver or exemption may still take the test to ensure they are prepared for college level work.
What are my next steps?
- Determine if you have an exemption or waiver from taking the TSIA. Refer to this page or contact Admissions if you're not sure.
- Recommended Practice Tests Pre-Assessment Activity and take advantage of free tutoring available if you're not sure you're ready to test.
- Pay for the TSIA -- Acceptable payment of $25 is by credit or debit card through the CTC Business Office by calling 254-526-1217 (Monday - Thursday 7:30 am - 5:30 pm and Friday 7:30 am - 11:30 am)
- Schedule the TSIA with the Testing Center. Be sure to review all of the policies and procedures for testing included in the testing center link above before arriving for the TSIA.
- Arrive to the TSIA rested, prepared, and ready to do your best.
What happens after taking the TSIA?
Meet with an Advisor (either in-person, virtually, or by phone) to discuss options.
Contact [email protected] or [email protected] to reach an advisor by email and make an appointment.
If the student is assessed as college ready, then they can directly enroll in the college-level Math and/or English depending on their degree.
If the student is assessed as not college ready, then options include:
- Retaking the TSIA after practicing and working with free tutors at CTC:
- English Language Arts & Reading (ELAR) tutoring – make an appointment for in-person or virtual tutoring at [email protected]
- Math tutoring – make an appointment for virtual tutoring at [email protected]
- Enrolling in the co-requisite courses (Math and/or English) where the student enrolls in the college-level course with a remedial intervention course at the same time. Successful completion of the co-requisite course will deem the student as TSI Complete. The student does not need to retake the TSIA. For more information: Math Express 254-526-1209 and Developmental English 254-526-3353.