Professional Truck Driving
The Central Texas College Professional Truck Driving Program is a non-credit, Continuing Education program that provides the student with personalized instruction with a curriculum designed to give the student the knowledge and skills necessary for a successful career in truck driving. Classroom and hands-on instruction are provided by professional, experienced and trained instructors. The program is taught at the Central Texas College central campus in partnership with ATDS Truck Driving School of Killeen, Texas.
Initial screening is done at the ATDS office, located at 1001 E. Veterans Memorial Blvd. in Killeen. They can also be reached at 254-432-7534.
The program is 210 clock hours (four weeks) in length, consisting of 70 hours of classroom instruction and 140 hours of practical and behind-the-wheel training.
Please contact Continuing Education for current program costs and registration requirements.
Classroom training includes:
- Department of Transportation (DOT) Rules and Regulations
Range Training and Testing (conducted at an off-campus site) includes:
- Vehicle Inspection
- Operation and Maintenance
- Starting and Stopping
- Shifting and Clutch Control
- Coupling and Uncoupling
- Straight-Line Backing
- Parallel Parking
- Sight-Side Backing
- 45- and 90-degree Backing
Over-the-road training is conducted on public roads and highways. Students will be exposed to light, moderate and heavy traffic. The student will be evaluated on turning, freeway entry and exit, merging and traffic lane changes and safe driving techniques. In addition, students will demonstrate PTI procedures and a 14-point brake system check. Night driving, short-haul and long-distance driving is included.
Benefits of our Truck Driving school include:
- Approved 3rd Party Testing Facility.
- Only use 1 month of VA benefits.
- Approximately 95% job placement through school.
- Potential dedicated triangle run; be home on weekends!
- Potentially $65k starting pay with benefits.
- Partners with Warner, TMC, Schneider, and Maverick trucking companies.