Student Information on Campus Carry
Information on Campus Carry and Senate Bill 11:
As of August 1, 2017, Individuals authorized to carry a handgun in the state of Texas, including CTC students, may carry a concealed handgun while on campus unless prohibited by state or federal law, or by CTC policy. Open carrying of handguns is always prohibited on CTC campuses and individuals who do not possess a Texas approved License to Carry (LTC Holders) are prohibited from carrying a handgun on CTC campus. LTC Holders are responsible for knowing areas where carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited where notice is not required to be posted. LTC Holders may not carry a concealed handgun while intoxicated.
An LTC Holder carrying a handgun on campus must at all times have the handgun in a holster that completely covers the entire trigger guard area. The holster must have sufficient tension or grip to retain it in the holster, even when jostled or shaken.
LTC Holders who carry a handgun on campus must carry it on or about their person at all times in a secure and concealed manner, or secure the handgun in a concealed manner in a locked, privately owned or leased motor vehicle. In compliance with Texas Penal Code §46.035, a LTC Holders may not carry a handgun that is partially or wholly visible on campus, regardless of whether the handgun is holstered. Partially or wholly visible is defined as any portion of the actual handgun being visible, but does not include merely a visible outline of a handgun otherwise properly concealed.
All concealed handguns brought on campus must be holstered and be on or about the LTC Holder’s person, which requires that at all times the handgun must be within arm’s reach of the LTC Holder without him/her materially changing their position.
Storage of any weapon, including handguns, is prohibited on CTC campus and premises, to specifically include any CTC lockers. Handguns may only be stored, out of sight, in the LTC Holder's personally owned or leased vehicle.
Display of a Concealed Handgun. An LTC Holder may not carry a partially or wholly visible handgun, or intentionally or knowingly display a handgun in plain view of another person, even if holstered, while on campus premises, including public driveways, streets, sidewalks or walkways, parking lots, or other parking areas.
Requirement to Display License. An LTC Holder must display his or her License to Carry a handgun when directed by a law enforcement officer in accordance with section 411.205 of the Texas Government Code.
Gun-Free Zones: A location or area of campus, a building, or a room in which the possession of all weapons, specifically including a licensed concealed handgun, is prohibited and such location is identified as a Gun-Free Zone in accordance with Texas laws.
Gun Free Zones By Law and/ or CTC Policy:
1. All locations used for early childhood education, daycare, Pre-K-12 school learning or activities, and all areas and CTCD events predominately visited by minor children. TX Penal Code §46.03.
2. CTCD Mental Health care service locations, including individual and group sessions.
3. Areas for all sporting or interscholastic events. TX Penal Code §46.035.
4. Polling locations – to include early voting. TX Penal Code §46.03.
5. Locations where the Board of Trustees are meeting. TX Penal Code §46.035.
6. All Independent School District locations, Example: Shoemaker Center, building 113. TX Penal Code §46.03.
7. All other locations where the carrying of handguns is proscribed by Texas or federal law.
8. Mayborn Science Theater during events for minors, such as Cub Scout meetings, ISD events, minor’s birthday parties, etc.
9. Sole occupant offices at occupant’s discretion. Occupant must post a sign or give verbal notice to visitors that their office is a gun-free zone. An employee designating his/her office as a gun- free zone shall also be prohibited from having a handgun in that office. Occupant’s duties that require them to meet with an LTC Holder will make reasonable arrangements to meet them in a location in which the LTC Holder is permitted.
10. Locations used to discuss discipline with a student or employee or hear grievances.
11. Morton Hall residence housing is a gun-free zone as to all areas, with the exception of the study room, lobby and lounge, game room and T.V. room. This will not prevent the parents of dorm residents or CTC staff frequenting Morton Hall to conduct CTC business from carrying a concealed handgun into dorm rooms in accordance with this policy.
12. Locations where dangerous materials or chemicals are stored or used, such as science laboratories, facilities chemical storage locations, power plant, etc.
13. CTCD owned, rented or leased vehicles when used to transport only minors or for transportation for sporting or interscholastic events.
14. Areas containing critical college infrastructure.
15. Areas where contractual or licensing obligations require exclusion of firearms.
A student who possesses an item or material in violation of the campus carry and weapons policy may be subject to discipline under the Student Code of Conduct, up to and including expulsion, for the first occurrence. Any person in violation of the policies, which also constitutes a violation of Texas or federal criminal laws, may be subject to arrest and prosecution, in addition to disciplinary action.
INFORMATION FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS:
Sworn Officers who choose to openly wear their weapon may do so in full uniform or in plain clothes with their badge/credentials fully displayed. Be aware that Central Texas College adopted a concealed carry policy in 2017. Individuals who are 21 years of age and who currently possess a handgun license from the State of Texas or an approved reciprocating state may legally carry a concealed handgun on or about their person. Concealed handguns may be carried on campus, except at locations on campus specified either by Central Texas College Safety Policies 130, 131 and 132 or by law. Signs will clearly identify prohibited areas on campus; excluding those already prohibited by Texas Penal Code 46.03.
A direct link to campus carry information and College policies can be found at: http://www.ctcd.edu/locations/central-campus/campus-safety-wellness/safety-and-security/campus-carry-implementation/